Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY electric drill for PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

magvitron

I've made a small drill from a motor found lying a round in my old tool box. I had an idea that it will make a snug drill for my pcb projects and i googled it. yeah, many have made it and there was even one instruct able.
>> I had another plus , an old handheld push drill which was discarded because of a small bend on
>> its twisty thing. I've cut it filed it to a flat surface and the motor too. The tricky bit was to attach it to the motor. tried with almost everything ranging from pen caps to aluminium tubes.
>> finally i've done it with a plastic tube and some araldite (epoxy glue).
>>I have to straighten the bit a few times to get the right position.
>>dried it overnight and the drill was ready.
>> was pretty easy to make.
>> made an addition , a small driver with a micro switch for turning the motor on and off

DSCN0819.JPG
DSCN0821.JPG

DSCN0823.JPG

PS I have a dremel tool but the high RPM of it broke so many bits

did you use the dremel in a press, or just handheld? it's not the high rpm that broke the bits. i've used a dremel in a dremel drill press for pcb drilling, and the only thing likekly to break the bits is if the motor bearings are bad, or that you don't use something like water or cutting oil as a coolant. a handheld dremel is also likely to break bits because the feed force isn't along the axis of the bit, but at an angle.

The Dremel has too much runout compared to a PC bit. The bits will wobble. The Proxxon is better. Incidently you can buy an adapter to adapt a Proxxon Drill press to a Dremel. Again, the Proxxon is far superior to the Dremal. There is lots of info on the web for this.

uncle jed i have used the dremel as handheld. it held well for a bit and when i have got 100's of holes to drill (for a major project) after a while i loose my patience and pushed the bits a bit.
Proxxon is not available here. I like the fact that the dremel is small and so much maneuverable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back