Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

diy cnc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect you cold draw fine with this setup but I do not think it has enough drive current to use steppers large enough for milling.

Have you been to cncZone.com. It is a huge site with lots of good info on CNC.

yes...
I found a system from indramat at home: Security Violation - 03

I have the units:
1x -RMK12.2-IBS-BKL
2x -RME12.2-32-DC024 (input)
2x -RMA12.2-32-DC024-050 (output)

is that of any use not only for the cnc but generally ?

I took a closer look at the site. He has a video of it milling wood. I expect it would also mill brass and aluminum but maybe sort of on the slow side.

It does look like a nice setup. I like the feature to find the tool length. I wonder if his software is open source.

Regarding the remote IO station. It is what it is. You could spend time and develop a program to run steppers with it, but a solution like you pointed to would be way easier.

In general I would not find it very useful. If you can program a micro controller I would think that you can do everything this thing does. But I did not spend much time looking at it.

Last edited:
ok thanks for tha but is there any other software for this that would work becouse I would have to buy this one :D

I did a google search for "RECO12 CNC" and found where it had been used in conjunction with CNC machines but not to run the machine itself. A search for "RECO12.2 CNC software" did not show any useful results.

In general CNC is not cheap. You can draw with a pen and even cut paper with low power steppers and drivers. But once you get to milling everything costs money.

i know that. But one step at a time. what would be a good stepper motor controller for at least 3 stepper motors. that is not to expensive ? i have searched on google but i didn't find anything good.

let's say 400€ max. for now.

That is not much even for a low cost DIY build. But:

Start reading cncZone.com. Then I would start by building a more or less toy with junk steppers, and drawer slides and ready rod and some DIY driver. Look for open source CNC software. That you can do for not much. But it gets you feet wet to the point where you can make intelligent choices.

I am not an expert.

that's exactly what I want to do. First make it go, than make it better !
I have some questions.
for milling how much torque must the stepper motor have at least? What's better unipolar or bipolar ? 2 phase or 4 phase ? what should be the step 1,8 degree or less ?
thanks
and im not an expert also :D

A lot of people over at CNCzone use the HobbyCNC kits. A 3 axis 130ozin kit starts at $250 (**broken link removed**). To get an idea of what people are building have a good read of this forum.

This is the kind of thing they build,
**broken link removed**

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back