Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY caller id?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myrmidon

Hello all.

After an argument with an indian call centre this morning i decided to look into the possibility of making a diy caller id system but i don't know how easy it would be.

My idea was basically have a typical 2 line lcd module (of which i have a few lying around) to display the number that is calling when the phone rings. How easy would this be? I would be using an arduino or other AVR micro's for this. I'm in the UK also if that makes a difference.

Does anyone have any experience of such a system or can suggest stuff?

Cheers.

:)

Yes it makes a difference where you are - you also have to subscribe to the caller ID service - you don't get the data otherwise.

However, it is available free from BT, but not on it's own - I would advice simply buying a phone with caller ID built-in, they aren't expensive, and it's illegal to connect homemade equipment to BT lines.

diy caller id and deal with

Even though its too late I really had to put a comment in here. A few years ago I lost my rag with the constant worrying from double glazing companies, particularly Zenith windows, a name you will well remember. After deliberately wasting half a day of a salesmans time, in retaliation, like, and receiving various threats after attempting to do exactly the same thing again when they next called, I built a device around a PIC controller which displayed the incoming number and stored it , with the option to assign various actions to the number. These options included: open line, delay enough for the (money) charging relays to operate then hang up before the first ring, disconnect ring line (let it ring) , and chop up the ring cadence into distinctive patterns to assign to special numbers.
The device was battery powered, such that there would be no fear whatever of feeding dangerous voltages back into the phone lines, and AC coupled to the lines, such that no extra loading could be detected.
To date, the device has successfully eliminated calls from WITHHELD, UNAVAILABLE, INTERNATIONAL, anything starting 08, including BT, and Birmingham.

Hello guys,

A while back i was having trouble too with annoying calls and thought about designing this very same thing. I never got around to it, although i may take it up again at some point.

This makes me think though, does anyone make a unit like this yet? Perhaps some company makes one that isnt too expensive?

siv

It became known as a SIV. I built half a dozen prototypes and used one myself for years. I've still got them kicking around in the junk somewhere, and there are disk dumps from various old computers from which I may be able to dig out the schematics and source code.

It didn't get to market because somebody decided the box wasn't pretty enough, and faced with such an attitude I just gave up.

If there is some interest, I'll have a look and see if I can dig out anything useful and maybe restore a couple to working. As far as I am aware there is still nothing like it on the market. If there is enough interest maybe we can get a project going or something. Anybody got any money???

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back