Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Distance measure Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

demestav

Hello.
The aim of this project is to measure the distance of an aproaching obstacle. The GP2D12 from SHARP seems like the best choice for a sensor. Because i am going to use a PIC16F84A i am considering a serial ADC.

What confuses me, is the amount of ADC available to buy!!!. Are there any important differences between them that i should take into account?
Could you please suggest (for now :) ) an easy to interface ADC (serial)?
Thank you.

Yes, lots of PIC's include A2D, check my tutorials for how to use them in a 16F876/7 - which is essentially the same for most PIC's. It's probably not a good idea to start projects with the 16F84A, it's pretty well obselete. The 16F628 replaces it, or you can use the 16F819 - which is pin for pin compatible, but includes 10 bit A2D inputs. You even get 10 bit A2D in the 8 pin 16F675.

Pretty pointless using an external A2D!.

Thank you for your replies. I though that 16f84A was something like a standard that everyone uses :). Since you are suggesting a pic with on-chip ADC i will use one of them.

Thank you

Nigel Goodwin, the first link does not work. Just though you should know.

demestav said:
Thank you for your replies. I though that 16f84A was something like a standard that everyone uses :). Since you are suggesting a pic with on-chip ADC i will use one of them.

Thank you

Nigel Goodwin, the first link does not work. Just though you should know.

Thanks, my web forwarding service seems to have a problem at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back