Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Distance between tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKrak

Hey,
I'm building a board that has some fairly high voltages. Well, high for a PCB anyway. Naturally I was interested in seeing how far apart I need to place the tracks to stop arcing/make it legal.

I came across this formula on the net: Distance between tracks = 0.023" + (0.0002" * peak volts).

Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know what the international standards (European/American) say?

Thanks

High is not a value, high is a relative perspective, define your value of high or we can't help. Standard PCB trace ratings are only for 'low' voltages.

Hey,
I'm building a board that has some fairly high voltages. Well, high for a PCB anyway. Naturally I was interested in seeing how far apart I need to place the tracks to stop arcing/make it legal.

I came across this formula on the net: Distance between tracks = 0.023" + (0.0002" * peak volts).

Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know what the international standards (European/American) say?

Thanks

hi,
Look at this PCB Design Tutorial

Last edited:
Hey,

Thanks

completely bogus.

legally, per CE61601-1 (CE medical, double insulation, which i believe is still good for defib proof, at 240VAC), you are only required to have 8mm (0.315") creapage (over a surface like a component or a PCB). the formula says over 1" (spec requires 5KV insulation)

at the other end it is limited by etching technology. I regularly design with 0.008" trace width and spacing, which is legally good for voltages below... well i forget off hand if it is 32V or 50V. more expensive processes can do finer pitch than that.

dan

Thanks for the replies guys. I am still a bit confused. Ubergeek63, you said for 240VAC you are required to have 8mm. This is also in the document that ericgibbs suggested I read. Yet...

I have sitting in front of me right now a 1200V rated IGBT that has a pin spacing of 2.5mm. This IGBT is produced by a major multinational manufacturer. I also have another PIM type IGBT that has a pin spacing of only 6.4mm between 2 phases of 415VAC 3 phase. This makes it kind of hard to put tracks to the pins.

After this I took a look at a few circuit boards that I have sitting around our workshop. One was out of a variable frequency drive that operates at 415VAC 3 phase. I measured the power tracks between 2 phases and it was only 5mm. This VFD is from a very reputable worldwide manufacturer.

So... does anyone know how I can run tracks to these things? About the best I can do is 40mil (1mm) between tracks and still have a track thick enough to carry the current.

well i would have to look it up again... 8mm is safety isolation between the power circuit and the user. the spec is more lenient for "lines of oposite polarity", 3mm @ 240V i believe it is. common industry practice is to stagger the pins to get the spacing.

415V would be more ... 9mm maybe ... i am at home now ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back