Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

distance between AC mains wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphadog

Banned
Hey everybody,
In my PCB there are connected three 220V-250V AC mains wires (L, N, ground), which can conduct up to 16A current.
Could someone refer me pleaes to an article which explains what should be the minimum distance between each pair of wires?

Thanks.

3mm as I recall... but that is CE medical.

it is hard to find articles on it since it is standards based and they like to charge $100 per spec for the privaledge of digging through obtuse idiocy for the one juicy little tidbit that you actually want.

Dan

If board space is not an issue I recommend increasing the distance to 5mm.

An additional safety precaution is a layer of clear laquer sprayed on the solder side (or component side) where ever the traces are located.

Good and longlasting spray laquer is available at Kontakt-Chemie. I received some control devices back from the user when he modernized his control sytem after 18 years.

The laquer looked the same as before.

Boncuk

The track width is also important and the thickness of the copper. They call it 1oz copper or 2oz copper.

Last edited:
16A is a lot of current for a PCB trace; it should be engineered carefully.

For example, a trace at a 10 degree C rise (very warm) of 1oz (fairly common) will be about half an inch wide.

When I have components handling 4kW I don't usually mount them on the PCB.

EN 60601: between conductors of opposite polarity at 250VAC 3mm creapage distance is required.

we use 5mm of 2oz copper for 20A

I use wire soldered between soldered joints, following the tracks on the board to increase current carrying capacity. But maintain the 3mm minimum.

Thanks!

Could you please refer me to the file you quoted it from?

Cheers :)
As I said, they want you to PAY 100USD for the privaledge of digging through 100 pages to find the table or two that tell you that.

Now if you, unlike me, have the 100USD to just throw away (it is much better spent on the food that my wife's insulin and such regularly take off the table), then feel free to contact any of the many standards scumbags and purchase EN60601 or one of it's derivatives.

Dan

I use wire soldered between soldered joints, following the tracks on the board to increase current carrying capacity. But maintain the 3mm minimum.

Prohibited by law in Germany.

Oh ok thanks.

Out of curiosity, how did you know it then?
I am an electronic design engineer who uses it all the time. My company bought the EN60601 spec. It is a bit more stringent than you probably need as it is EU medical.

Occasionally you can find things mentioned in trade show lectures if they happen to be published on the web or in discussions on test lab sites, but they are very hard to find with out author's names and not official.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back