Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dismantling a Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glyph

Hey there,

I've collected some broken equipment of various types and i want to start taking apart the transformers so i can have a stock of ferrites for later use in other transformers.

What's an effective, and more importantly safe way, of weakening the various types of glue holding these things together?

I tried cracking one with a hammer, but the ferrite shattered and the glue was still intact. Bad idea.

Anything else i could try?

Thanks in advance!

:eek:
You must warm the transformer in order to melt the glue for extract the ferrite core.
The ferrite core can be broken if you force it mechanically.
For warm use a metallic plate over a gas flame or other hot source and put the transformer on this plate, and wait. When is warmed enough, the core can be separated easy with hand force but watch out to avoid burning your fingers.

I assume you know about the different grades of ferrite and their different frequency applications?
After you got the core apart make sure the mating surfaces are spotlessly clean, the slightest bit of residue there woud cause an airgap and drastically reduce core performance. However, with some transformers the cores have a deliberate air gap to prevent them saturating.
Have fun :wink:
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back