Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dirty ground in facade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Othello

I have a project where LED's are installed in a building facade in SF.
My 12,000 LED's are supplied with 2.5 V + and the building, or parts thereof are my ground.
Since this installation extends to a height of 170 feet, I was wondering what sort of ground for my negative pole I could expect.
My power supply vendor brought up the possibility, that I would have my negative pole of the supply riding on incredibly dirty ground, polluted with induced AC and spikes of unknown shape.

IF so, what would be a good approach to make this work anyways?

Probably would be best to run a separate wire for the ground rather than trying to use the building frame.

That is what I thought as well.
But the difference seems by degrees only.
I can look at the entire metal facade/structure, what sort of a ground is that?

Or I look at my 6 000 feet of SS tubing and insulate it from the building, possibly even run a separate grounding wire, which could also act as an antenna, and ground my installation with that?

Or float the whole thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back