Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dirt cheap 3w leds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I think this site is having a sale or something, I just ordered some of the 1w leds (Luxeon I's) for 6.25 each and now they're around 3 bucks. The luxeon III's are even around $3-4 as well (usually $8 each).

http://www.lumiledsfuture.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=8

The shipping is $9.00 and if you spend over $25, there is no handling fee.

Either your link doesn't work, or they have a very slow server.

hmmmm..... LXHL-LH3C for binary clock?

the server works fine for me...

panic mode said:
hmmmm..... LXHL-LH3C for binary clock?

That would be a blinding binary clock.
I have been considering the idea of mounting several of them to my ceiling fan and run them like a propeller clock. Although they would probably make a better color organ. Getting power to them would be the only problem really.

i know, i was just kidding :lol:

Lumileds' sever works fine now. Before it was taking a snooze.
They have a very confusing product line-up. A Lumiled-V isn't 5W, a Lumiled-III isn't 3W.

audioguru said:
Lumileds' sever works fine now. Before it was taking a snooze.
They have a very confusing product line-up. A Lumiled-V isn't 5W, a Lumiled-III isn't 3W.

depends on what color you're going for

if you check out the specs on the red, r-o and yellow star III, they are actually 4+ watt leds (Vf 2.95v If 1.4a)

-----

as I understand it, lumileds is dumping their current luxeon stock to make room for the next generation (mar '06) - most of the star iii's are sold out already, lots of star i's left, at least in their US warehouses.

as crappy as Future's website is ... their fullfilment service is darn fast.

I placed my order last night around quarter to nine (est), and a few hours ago, fedex delievered them ... and no I didn't pay for overnight shipping :D

pictures coming shortly ... I am pleasently supprised by the size of these units ... sure reading the measurements in the datasheet is one thing, but seeing them up close is another!

I'd mentioned this in numerous other threads, I know it hasn't been asked yet but I figure it's worth hitting right off the bat.

Powering low voltage, high current devices with a well regulated current is fairly difficult. A current mode PWM like the HV9910 is really cheap and works very well provided you have enough source voltage. Perfect regulation and there's no heat.

Oznog said:
A current mode PWM like the HV9910 is really cheap and works very well

I agree, the 9910 is awesome ... goodbye lm317t, hello hv9910 :)

only problem I have with the 9910 is getting the super low resistances needed for the current sense ... what I think I'll end up doing is program the current sense for some high value, and then 'trim' the output using a multi-turn pot and the LD pin?

This is where I've always bought my luxeon LEDs from. if you go to the lumileds.com website and buy an LED, it will send you to futurelectronics.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back