Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Direction detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bueskytten

Hey guys

I am making a school project where i have to detect the direction, I am planning to do it by measuring the angel that the axle is rotating compared to the starting point. I think that it would be nice to make detect the angel compared to the magnetic field of the world, is this something that i can easily make or does it take advanced techniques?
If it is possible plz give me some links or some descriptions.
If it is impossible, I was planning to use a potentiometer and the calculate the angel from the current received by my processor, which will properly be an Arduino UNO.
But if you have some better ideas then these two plz tell me.

Hey guys

I am making a school project where i have to detect the direction, I am planning to do it by measuring the angel that the axle is rotating compared to the starting point. I think that it would be nice to make detect the angel compared to the magnetic field of the world, is this something that i can easily make or does it take advanced techniques?
If it is possible plz give me some links or some descriptions.
If it is impossible, I was planning to use a potentiometer and the calculate the angel from the current received by my processor, which will properly be an Arduino UNO.
But if you have some better ideas then these two plz tell me.

hi,
If you use a standard magnetic compass I think you will find it has not got enough 'huumph' to turn a potentiometer.
Also most pots have a ~300degree rotational limits.

How accurate do you want to measure the directional change.??

Search ebay for digital compass chips, they are not so dear and as you are using a micro should be easy to interface to, then you will have a really good direction method.

Pete.

Last edited:
Okay I had not thought about that.
It doesn't have to be very a accurate, a change every 1-2 degrees or more.
It is just the idea behind the project that count, though i still have to be able to make a prototype.

I have now searched a little on ebay but I can't find any chips, all I find is car keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back