Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIP or SMD for car projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamarama

Hello everyone, I'm planning on making a CMOS based car alarm for a friends original mini. The brains will be stuck in a plastic box in the engine bay for space reasons, but there will probably be a fair amount of vibration. Would it be better to use Dips and sockets with a tie wrap/zip tie holding each chip in place, use dips directly soldered to the board or SMD devices for maximum reliability? I'll probably be using 60/40 lead solder as it's what I have in the house. Any pointers? Many thanks - Mike

SMD's can be done, but it has to be done right. Anyone can do dips

I use smd's on most of my auto projects, my third brake light has been going for over 4 years and sat in traffic jambs and sat in the parking lot for two weeks in Florida in July during a heat wave, and all the smd chips and leds didn't fall off (knock on wood) but I leave the windows cracked open a bit now:(, other items didn't fare at all good though.....

No sockets. 60/40 is fine for DIPS, but not SMT.

Stencils and paste is the right way. 63/37 solder might work in a pinch. In fact it does. My first SMD replacement was a CPU on a car radio. I used the tack the corners and solder upside down trick and it worked well.

You might want to consider a conformal coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back