Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

i have a welding machine remote control with a potentiometer and a 110/120 volt outlet in it.coming off of the aluminum housing box there is what i think is a diode,its between the box and the 110v ground wire. the markings on it are as follows: red,green,black and maroon.what is the purpose of this and how and where do i purchase one,and what do i ask for.bear in mind i have a limited knowledge of electronics.
thanks!

Last edited:
This is what a diode looks like: diode pic

Can you take picture?

It sounds like a resistor, but I can't figure out what a resistor would be doing on a ground wire from a welder???

The grond wire is on the 110v power cord.i thought it mite be a safety feature so you cannot get a shock off of the aluminum box.

i cant believe that no body out there can help me with this problem?
come on guy's give it a try! THANK'S

i cant believe that no body out there can help me with this problem?
come on guy's give it a try! THANK'S

If you are going to be impatient, then provide more info first.

You got a picture of this part that you think is a diode?

We are doubting it could be a diode, but we can't see it!

This is about all the help I can give you.

Impossible to be a diode.
With a diode, a person would be shocked half-cycle.

It could be a capacitor, to bypass/ground some high frequency and be high impedance at the mains 60 Hz. (Like some good old tubes radios, that the chassis were connected with the mains through a 470nF capacitor).

sorry to be so impatient ,will try to up load picture tomorrow, thanks for your help. P.S how do i attach a photo?

Last edited:
Why do you need to replace it?, is it blown?. Id guess also its a HF bypass cap. If it is a cap and blown, youve got other problems that need to be fixed.

Remote Control

its working ok but i need a spare remote. i dont have to put this diode or what ever this is on the spare one but as a proffessional electrician made this one it is there for a purpose? unfortunately he is dead. can anyone explaine how to insert a photo to this chat site.PS what is a HF bypass cap and what does it do in laymans terms please.

Last edited:
As far as posting photos, you have a couple of choices:

1. Locally to the website:
a) Save photo to computer (e.g. your computer's desktop)
b) Go to to your "User CP (Control Panel) and under "Networking" click on "Pictures and Albums" and upload the photo
c) Paste the link to the photo in this thread: click on the link, and copy the BB Code and paste it in the thread.

2. Go to Photobucket and upload the image, click on image BB Code and do the same.

:mad:Ok all you smart asses out there the electrician did not die on the job! :)As for the original question i have figured it out: It is a 100meg Ohm Resistor to remove static off the control cables and machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back