Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

diode's effect on voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter M

Question from a greenhorn: what effect will using a single diode to rectify an AC voltage have on the output voltage? Will it decrease, or stay the same? (i.e., will an AC input of 16V become a DC output of 16V?
And, if it is not the voltage that changes, what does?

When you rectify AC, you get a DC voltage that is higher than the AC voltage because the filter capacitor charges to the peak of the AC sine-wave which is 1.414 times hugher, minus the voltage across the rectifier diode.
With a single diode you will have twice the ripple voltage than if you used a full-wave rectifier because the capacitor discharges twice as long a time into the load.

diode's effect....

Thanks for the reply, but need a clarification: if I want to create a DC output of 16V from an AC source using a single diode, do I begin with
8V AC?

Peter M said:
Thanks for the reply, but need a clarification: if I want to create a DC output of 16V from an AC source using a single diode, do I begin with
8V AC?

uh, no...

DC output = (AC voltage * 1.414) - diode voltage drop

so you just shuffle it around to get the required AC voltage, just as Russlk demonstrated before I had a chance to finish typing this message :lol:

evandude said:
DC output = (AC voltage * 1.414) - diode voltage drop
This gives the peak voltage. Also, as Audio said, there will be a ripple and its amplitude will depend upon the load resistance and the capacitance of the filter capacitor. The voltage drop across the diode is also a function of its slope resistance and the current through it.

Full wave rectification (ie. a diode bridge) would be better than a single diode)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back