Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diodes and RF to DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

zemanekj

I'm reading a lot about RF to DC technology and am having trouble wrapping my head around the use of diodes to help convert RF to DC. I feel like it's something obvious that I'm missing.

I see you have a few threads going and I want to think this came up recently here or in another forum. You may want to do some research on the term "rectenna" or "rectifying antenna". The idea being tiny diode arrays are built directly into the antenna. Doing this helps eliminate loss. I can't recall who it was but a major US company did some experiments using highly directional microwave transmissions at very high power to a rectenna receiving dish about I think a mile away. The concept was being tossed around for use in space. The merit to microwave transmission is the beam can be made highly directional.

As you see in your other thread low frequency stuff exist for cell phone charging and hell even my electric toothbrush circuits. A Google of "rectenna video" will get you some interesting stuff but the video I recall was out in I believe the southwestern US desert. I just can't remember who it was.

Ron

You already have a thread running on this subject.
You do not need to create a new thread to ask the same question in a slightly different way.

This thread is now locked.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back