Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diodes and IC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_3094

I think I have read somewhere that the output of one IC should not be connected directly to the input of another IC.
Eg, 555 Timer -> Decade Counter -> Another Decade counter

Is that true?
Wouldn't that have a really high voltage drop?

Thanks

I think I have read somewhere that the output of one IC should not be connected directly to the input of another IC.

Is that true?

Thanks

It depends on the voltage level each IC is using. Generally if they are all using the same voltage level they can be connected directly, that is an output signal of one IC can wire to a input pin of another IC. It really depends on the specific ICs you want to talk about.

Lefty

What does voltage drop have to do with anything? It's not like resistors. Each IC has it's own connection to the power supply that it uses to generate it's new output signal.

As long as the input pin can tolerate the voltage of the output pin it will survive. For it to work, the voltage thresholds for logic 0s and 1s have to be the similar enough to work.

Is that true?

Thanks

Maybe you misread. Perhaps it was do not connect output to output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back