Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kloth

I have a power supply to a telephone system module that has a 1n504 diode. The diode gets very hot and sometimes burns up. The circuit board gets discolored around this diode. Anyone know the specs on this diode and is there a diode I can replace it with that would work better? Would a 1n4001 work in place of it? Thanks for your help!

Kloth said:
I Would a 1n4001 work in place of it? Thanks for your help!

No because 1N4001 is rated for 50V only. You need 100V or higher.

You can use any of 1N4002, 1N4003...1N4007 to replace it. But there will not be any improvement to the heat problem because it is load current related.

You can try to leave as long as possible the leads on the diode to ease the problem a little.

Diode Burnout

In addition to LChung's good advice on longer leads, you can solder small copper fins (best) or clamp small aluminum fins to the diode leads as close to the diode body as possible. Bigger is better within space limitations.

awright

Kloth said:
I have a power supply to a telephone system module that has a 1n504 diode. The !
I think you may mean a 1N5404 diode. The 1N540X series diodes are 3A where as the 1N400X are rated at 1A. The 1N540X series are about 1/4" diameter whereas the 1N400X are about 1/8" diameter. The physical size determines the current rating. It would be a very bad idea to replace the larger size with the smaller size.
As mentioned earlier, a heatsink my be necessary.

I think that this diode is trying to tell you somethind.

Your problem is probobly a short somewhere else in the circuit. Start smelling for overheating somewhere else in the circuit.

audioguru said:
me again said:
Start smelling for overheating somewhere else in the circuit.

Smelling??
I use my finger to do the smelling. :lol:

MMMMMM and we thought the Tasmanians were strange :shock:

me again said:
I think that this diode is trying to tell you somethind.

Your problem is probobly a short somewhere else in the circuit. Start smelling for overheating somewhere else in the circuit.

I bet you have never seen blacken PCB areas around diodes and zeners connections caused by overheating.

Most commercial pcb's are made from compressed paper. Sure it blackens when a power device is near it for years. Your finger would probably blacken too.
Tasmania is in Oz, isn't it? People down under are upside down so probably use their toes to do the sniffing. :lol:

I use my fingers too :lol:

If I smelled my circuit for hours, then I feel that I have turned into a dog! :lol: :shock:

But smelling is ineffective, until you see smoke! and trust me, the smell is not good. So go spray some air freshner on your circuit, and maybe the smoke will push up the air freshner smell. :lol:
BUT, if your circuit is precious, ignore putting air freshner on it.

It is better to use your finger, because it detects heat before the smoke arrives. In fact, my finger prevented parts from smoking, because when my finger starts to get hot, I immediately disconnect the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back