Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

diode replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

wejos

the circuit is about jdm programmer. came from this **broken link removed**.

my problem is i cannot find two of the diodes used in our area, the zd5v1 and zd6v2.

the electronic store attendant suggested replacement for zd5v1 a in4733a, and for zd6v2 the in4735a.

to make matters worse i cannot find the datasheet of zd5v1 and zd6v2 in google. since i was thinking to verify if they really had the same rating like the store attendant told me.

can you tell me one or two replacement for these diodes?

thanks a lot in advance guys,

wejos

The ZD5V1 is a 5.1 Volt .2 Watt zener diode and the ZD6V2 is a 6.2 volt .2 Watt zener diode. The suggested replacements of 1N4733A and 1N4735A respectively will work just fine. They are rated for 1 Watt so slight overkill. So what is the problem?

the electronic store attendant suggested replacement for zd5v1 a in4733a, and for zd6v2 the in4735a.

Note the replacemebnt part numbers are 1N and not in.

Ron

They are zener diodes, 5.1V and 6.2V respectively.

The diodes suggested are zeners of the correct voltage, so should be fine - however, I can't help thinking that a zener with it's voltage as part of it's number makes a lot more sense than the IN series devices.

thanks nigel and ron for everything.

"a zener with it's voltage as part of it's number "

i realized that now thanks

I agree that the voltage rating of a zener diode should be in its part number instead of the random numbering of 1Nxxxx zener diodes.

just a quick follow up question please, where do you find the voltage of a diode in a datasheet?

i see VZ (V) @ IZ (Note 1) and min, type, and max.

the PD part must be the wattage?

Zener diodes are not perfect. Most have a VZ voltage of plus or minus 5%. A 5.6V zener could be 5.32V or 5.88V or anywhere in between.
The voltage changes a little with its current (IZ).
Zener diodes change their voltage when the temperature changes (except for ones with a voltage of about 6V). So you do not want to operate them at a high current which makes them hot.

They are zener diodes, 5.1V and 6.2V respectively.

The diodes suggested are zeners of the correct voltage, so should be fine - however, I can't help thinking that a zener with it's voltage as part of it's number makes a lot more sense than the IN series devices.

That is so true. Everytime I see a 1N number on a zener I have to go back and reference it to published data. Friggin waste of time.

Why not 2V1 or 7V5 or 6V8 printed on the thing like it used to be. Worse is Panasonics way of color coding zeners that they have used on certain chassis.

Makes things unnecessarily complicated.

Here is my circuit that does away with zener diodes:

**broken link removed**

I also have a mod for those ports that don't produce the full 13v for Vpp. It needs to be at least 13.6v for reliable "opening" of the chip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back