Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode question

Status
Not open for further replies.

problemman

I am that familiar with electronics so was hoping on some help. I have one contact closure (discreet alarm) and need to drive two separate interfaces (one at 24VDC and other one on 48VDC). I will be using back to back diodes. Previous I have seen them use 1N4003 diodes which are rated at 1amp. I know that I will drive double ckts and wanted to use 2amp rated diode and preferably not too big in size. Does anyone know if I can use diode #2A03
Thanks

The diode ratings depend the current flowing through them, and the reverse voltage they will be subjected to. If the contact closure completes a path to ground to turn on both the 24V and 48V circuits, then the reverse voltage across the diode in-series with 24V load will subjected to 48-24-0.7V = ~23V, so even a 1N4001 would work.

Each diode only passes the respective current it takes to turn on its own load (not the sum of the two currents).

Thanks. The 2A03 (or 2A01) has a Average rectified output current of 2amp (versus 1amp for the 1N400x diode). The contact closure will complete a path to ground. And I wondering if with the 2amp rated diode, can I switch twice as large load with it?

Thanks

Depends first on what the relay can switch? Second on what kind of load? Resistive vs Inductive?

I think that it would be a resistive load. Is the 2amp Average rectified output current rating able to continuosly drive a 2amp DC resistive load? Or does this need to be prorated because of DC or something else?

It needs to be prorated to ambient temperature. For a pure DC Load, the average is the same as the actual current...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back