Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode mixing digital audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowana

I have two digital audio sources that should not be on at the same time as each other. One gives out a 5v square wave, the other a 3v square wave. Will I be OK to diode mix these into the amplifier (a logic level FET)?

Thanks

Andrew

1) You do not mix digital sources.
2) A logic-level FET probably will not work with a 3.3V signal that is reduced to 2.6V with a diode. It needs at least 4.5V.

Sorry - I should not really have called it mixing. It is simply that one is on while the other is off, and I don't want to blow up the output of the other.

I'm using a LDO schottky diode, and I've found that my FET does turn on at the 2.9v there is on the gate. It is a small speaker, so even thought the Rds of the FET is ~1.5 ohms, that's no problem in this case.

Andrew

You are feeding DC pulses to a speaker?
But a speaker uses AC, not DC.

An audio amplifier has a very low output impedance (0.04 ohms or less) that damps the resonance of a speaker. Your FET has 1.5 ohms in one direction and infinity (boooom) in the other direction. The speaker will sound like a bongo drum.

That's fine - It's just a buzzer. I'm not looking for nice sounds And the correct term for what I want would be an OR gate, rather than a mixer.

Andrew

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back