Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode help - not sure if any of the diodes I have can substitute for a 1N60

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubliMe

First off - great forum/site, I'm really glad I found it.

Second, I've been reading so many data-sheets I think my eyes are going to bleed, but I still can't find the answer to my question. I'm adding a VU panel meter (mostly for eye candy) to a tube/valve preamp that I'm building and it needs a small circuit to function properly. The meter and schematic for the small circuit are here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/06/TR35.pdf (look at the lower left hand corner).
I also found other information that said "any small signal diodes (germanium) such as the 1N60, OA91, OA95, etc. should work fine."
In my possession I have the following diodes:
(4) - 1N5402
(4) - 1N4007
(4) - 1N4002
(6) - 1N4001
I know they're not Germanium, but I was hoping that one (actually 4) of these would work, but if not a local shop has some 1N34A's and CDSH270's (they said either of them "might" work). Otherwise I would have to order them off the internet and pay for all that shipping.
I've tried to compare the different specs of each to the suggested diodes, but I'm not sure which of the attributes are most important.
Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

The diodes you have listed are all power rectifiers, apart from the voltdrop, it is unlikely that they would work at higher audio frequencies.

In your post you state:
Otherwise I would have to order them off the internet and pay for all that shipping.
What you do not say is where in the world you are.
Without that snippet of information we cannot make any suggestions as to where you could obtain suitable diodes.

JimB

Thanks Nigel & Jim - had I found those two pieces of information (voltage drop/high frequencies) somewhere, I could have saved myself a lot of work. Everything I read said that I needed to use Germanium diodes, but didn't say why. It seems like a lot of things these days tell you the what and how but not the why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back