Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

din rail pcb holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2c

Hello,

I am starting a project to automate some function in my home, my first concern is how to securely attach PCBs to 35 mm DIN rails.

The holders should be well tightened to the rail and should allow me to screw PCBs of arbitrary sizes (I don't know the size yet)

The retention should be strong because i'll have to connect -using terminal blocks soldered to the PCB- also 1.5 and 2.5mm 220V wires which are quite rigid.

Any help is most welcome,

hanks in advance or your time

Guy

You can just get din rail clips like this and attach the pcb to them with screws. https://au.element14.com/hammond/1427dinclip/din-clip-rail-mount-plastic-pair/dp/1876535

These are quite expensive from element14, but are available for less at other distributors. You can also get them in different heights (i.e. to mount the PCB further away from the rail).

Thanks, I was thinking that clips like these would be more secure because they are clamped to the rail. Also, assuming horizontal rails, the clips at element 14 may not be high enough: assume a pcb of height 200 mm, it will be maintained by a 30 mm strip which is a bit marginal

that part in first link is just a stopper, it's function is to stop terminal blocks etc from sliding on a din rail. it has no feature to support or carry PCB.
if you need to make AC products and plan to put them on metal (din) rail, you better make sure it is properly insulated. there is plenty of PCB carrier options from Widmueller, Wago, PhoenixContact etc.
all of those options also have means to be removed from rail when needed. for example the plastic clips from Hammond in your second link are very common and cheap. note that if you mount box on them, retainer latches may no longer be accessible so your product will not be removable. the left side of the clip is weaker (acting as a spring loaded catcher) and it is not meant to carry any load. when mounted on a din rail it is supposed to be on the lower side. to remove it from rail, you use screwdriver to release the catcher. the other side of the clip is heavier and should be used to support weight of your project. the isometric illustration (right side in Hammond document) shows wrong installation (it is upside down). installed like that it will work for light duty pcb with no large connector (high insertion force) or transformer (weight).

for small projects, these are nice:
https://www.wago.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-E618AD1E-A6AB63F6/wago/style.xsl/eng-341.htm

for medium or large boards, try weidmueller (RS100 supports up to 100mm pcb width)
https://catalog.weidmueller.com/catalog/Start.do?localeId=hk_CN&ObjectID=group84484760550093

or phoenix contact:
**broken link removed**

note the options to insulate back side. they can have covers on the front too but I never use them, i keep all power on the back side of the board and that gets insulated. then I can have my things even on my desk while programming or testing.

The plastic clips are actually quite secure and hard to get off. Some basically require a screwdriver (or very strong fingers) to remove

Hmmm, Winford charges $55 for the shipment for international locations. (only express international service) This changes the picture :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back