Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dimming LEDs with Capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron3090

Hello! I'm trying to make a circuit that gradually dims an LED by saturating a capacitor. Once the capacitor is full, I need to be able to discharge it and light the LED, then switch back over to charging it again. I've been racking my brain for weeks on this one, and I figured there must be a simple way to do such a thing. Any help?

Bill Bowden's Fading RED eyes circuit uses a triangle generator that drives transistors that slowly fade and brighten LEDs.

Attachments

• Fading LED Eyes.PNG
    Fading LED Eyes.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 358
How about this I just came up with?
Will it do what I need?
All Diodes are LEDs and ignore the units.

Attachments

• Dimmer.png
    Dimmer.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 321
Your circuit is missing a power supply.
It is also missing an oscillator to make the LEDs slowly dim and brighten.
Some of the transistors are backwards and upside down. The LEDs are also upside down.
One transistor is shorted.
All transistors are missing base current-limiting resistors.

A schematic is usually drawn with 0V at the bottom and the positive power supply source at the top.

Last edited:
i think you want a circuit like this, the second one is with transistors, i may not have done proper resistor values, the blue and green wire are your switching, ones positive, one negative, also you may want to use FET's for your switching, but dont quote me on any of this!!!!

Attachments

• snap1.png
    snap1.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 266
simple flasher

Here is one that takes advantage of the avalanche of the transistor.

Attachments

• flasher.PNG
    flasher.PNG
    57.3 KB · Views: 267
does any body have the circuit board diagram to make 5 or more leds to light in in a sequential mode for either 1, 2 or 3 times and then stay on until power is off.

does any body have the circuit board diagram to make 5 or more leds to light in in a sequential mode for either 1, 2 or 3 times and then stay on until power is off.
You need one "ring counter" ande one regular counter (to count number of rounds). Basic digital corcuit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back