Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dimming 240v 60w bulb over variable time 30sec to 15 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipdogso

I wanted to do this but have no idea where to start the best I can get by googling is manual dimmer switches...not what I am looking for.

A unit to do this for me will set me back £90 I am sure I could arrage it on a shoestring....

You need the equivalent of TRIAC phase-control dimmer, which has a AC zero-crossing detector, followed by a variable delay from the zero-crossing to when the Triac gate is pulsed. In your case, the phase delay should be controlled by an integrator which slowly ramps up over the delay period.

Rather than doing this with analog electronics, a much better way would be to use a PIC driving a Triac.

You could start with a circuit similar to this one. Note the use of R in the opto coupled version. The circuit would need modified for 220 VAC from 120 VAC but you see how the dimming is done using the opto coupler. Then just make up a sawtooth generator to provide the voltage and amplitude for the dimming. Possiblly working from something like that. Maybe someone here has a turn key ready drawing.

<EDIT> Mike is posted a good idea while I was stumbling around here. :) </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
Veleman has such a kit, I believe.

Wow, they certainly do.... kit K8028. Does exactly what I wanted and saves £68....

Could probably save a bit more not using a kit but this is fine for my level of acomplishment in electronics I am not beginner but not really novice either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back