Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIL switch for capacitance switch array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinhabahu

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here. It's good to be here. I'm working on my final year project on impedance matching in NFC antennas, and I'll be working on both manual and automatic matching. I have constructed a circuit for the antenna and utilized a DIL switch for my CSA. The CSA has 8 capacitors. Ideally I should be using a DMOS switch but it is not available over here.

The CSA consists of 8 ceramic capacitors and it has the following configuration:

1 x 1 pF
2 x 2.2 pF
1 x 4.7 pF
4 x 10 pF

This arrangement allows me to select a range of capacitances from 0 to about 50 pF. I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could offer me advice on how to get a CSA with a DIL switch working for this. In particular, how can I get this to switch for manual AND automatic impedance matching?

If you need any more info on my project, please let me know. Many thanks, guys :)

What is NFC?
What is a CSA?
What is DIL?
What is DMOS?

Sorry, I should've explained the acronyms first.

1) NFC- Near Field Communication.

Near Field Communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) CSA- Capacitance Switch Array.

3) DIL- Same as DIP switch...probably was a typo in the manual I used. The one I'm using is identical to the one in this photo:

File:DIP switch 01 Pengo.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4) DMOS- Double-diffused metal–oxide–semiconductor, typically used to make MOSFETs. Both are explained in this article:

MOSFET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roland et al give a superb description of how to carry out impedance matching in NFC antennas in this article:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/09/2008_07_23_csndsp08-1.pdf

A more detailed version of this paper is available in IEEE:

IEEE Xplore is Under Maintenance

I am basing my project on the work done by Roland and his colleagues. The circuit is pretty similar, except that I'm using a DIP switch instead of a DMOS switch and I need help in how to best implement this DIP switch. I will also be using a LabJack, which my professor tells me will render a micro-controller unnecessary in my project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back