Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Wireless For Guitar/bass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noumenon

Hi.

I'm drawing ideas for a digital wireless system for guitar/bass.
The idea is this:
analog sound -> AD -> transmitter ------ reciever -> DA -> analog sound

Now. the transmitter/reciever part, I basically have to decide wether if its possible to use todays comuputer tech. here since they have good speed these days, but how big is the latency? Or maby I should go with a regular RF-system instead.

Another idea is to make it switchable between mono/stereo use.

Anyone got any ideas on how to go further with this?

Noumenon said:
Hi.

I'm drawing ideas for a digital wireless system for guitar/bass.
The idea is this:
analog sound -> AD -> transmitter ------ reciever -> DA -> analog sound

Now. the transmitter/reciever part, I basically have to decide wether if its possible to use todays comuputer tech. here since they have good speed these days, but how big is the latency? Or maby I should go with a regular RF-system instead.

Another idea is to make it switchable between mono/stereo use.

Anyone got any ideas on how to go further with this?

I've never looked into wireless connections for guitars or bass, no matter how good it is you are still only trying to duplicate a piece of wire, which (of course) you will never manage.

One of the problems in doing it digitally is the increased bandwidth required, there also seems very little reason not to do it analogue - you have an analogue source, feeding an analogue amplifier, why introduce two conversions in the path?.

There seems a modern trend towards 'digital', often at the expense of quality, digital TV is a good example - the picture quality doesn't approach that of analogue transmissions, put analogue and digital transmissions on side by side (on identical TV's) and analogue absolutely wipes the floor with digital!.

As I mentioned, it's not something I've looked into, but the only commercial guitar transmitters I've had any dealings with are analogue, I don't know if digital ones are available or not.

Just a thought, Nigel. Why do you put full stops after questionamarks, exlamationmarks and other symbols that allready have the dot integrated in them?

Yeah well, there is one digital system for guitar/bass, but it isn't allowed in europe. Another thing is that soundwise a digital does sound better than an analogue. But that is another debate, and mostly has to do with taste. Wich wasn't the question :) But thanx anyway.

I've looked into bluetooth a bit, but it seems like the bandwith is too small. One sec of audio at 24bit/44.1kHz is 254KB. That would require atleast a 4mbit connection.

The 802.11b system seems better, but I get the feeling that theres going to be alot of programing (protocolls) involved and the physical size might increase too much.

Hm. I found this little gadget: **broken link removed**

But building the unit what should require constructions of protocolls.

Noumenon said:
Yeah well, there is one digital system for guitar/bass, but it isn't allowed in europe.

But making one yourself probably isn't going to be legal in Europe either, have you checked licence possibilities for such a device, also where in the spectrum it might be allowed?. You appear to be looking towards Bluetooth and similar existing technologies, would it be allowable to use them in this way?.

Another thing is that soundwise a digital does sound better than an analogue. But that is another debate, and mostly has to do with taste. Wich wasn't the question :) But thanx anyway.

Always a good arguing point - interesting point of view though, a non-existent, theoretical, digital radio system you haven't designed yet, sounds better than the existing analogue options!. I applaud your confidence 8)

Nigel. haha, I was referring to the one that exists ;)

Well, I don't see why since it'll use the 802.11b-system.

well, more common are wireless mics, maybe you could 'borrow' one of those, and see how they work? (or, just duck tape it to ur guitar...)

Tim

Yeah. But they send the sound analog and I want the audio sent as a digital signal.

I've decided to try this out though
Transmitter:
Analog in -> ADC (24bit/96kHz) -> Digi Connect Wi-ME (802.11b unit with Java RTSP Applet)

Reciever:
Digi Connect Wi-ME (802.11b unit with Java RTSP Applet) -> DAC (24bit/96kHz) -> Analog out

I'm just curious if the data input on the Wi-ME can directly take the data output from the ADC-circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back