Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital watches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right so a couple of days ago after having looked at my digital watch I realised that watches do not count leap years... I done my research and no one has really done anything about that. When it comes to mechanical watches I believe a perpetual calendar complication is used for ones that do count dates.

When it comes to digital one has to manually change their watches to accommodate to leap years (yes it is not the most tedious task I know). I'm certain someone else has thought of this previously and either summised that it is not worth doing and manually changing is better of everyone is forgetting about the classic watches and checking time on their phones?

What do you think?

My cheapish Casio digital watch accounts for leap years correctly. I'm sure other models/brands do too.

Right so a couple of days ago after having looked at my digital watch I realised that watches do not count leap years... I done my research and no one has really done anything about that.

I don't know what you "researched," but I personally own an electronic/analog wrist watch that keeps perfect tract of leap years. Look up WWVB, "atomic clocks," LaCrosse Technology, and RTC (real time clocks). Here is link that describes WWVB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB

Keeping track of leap years and synchronizing to an external time standard is quite common in electronic/digital watches and clocks.

John

I think the vast majority (if not all) of digital watches that keep track of the year also keep track of leap years, since the logic to do that is quite simple.

I think the vast majority (if not all) of digital watches that keep track of the year also keep track of leap years, since the logic to do that is quite simple.
The years 2100, 2200 and 2300 will not be a leap years. Like 2000, the year 2400 will be a leap year. Make sure you include that in your code.

There's a bunch of tests:
I belive they are evenly divisible by...
/4
/100
/400
Not all /4 test are leap years.

What about the leap-second"?

The years 2100, 2200 and 2300 will not be a leap years. Like 2000, the year 2400 will be a leap year. Make sure you include that in your code.
You mean the quantum code in my year 2100 quantum computer watch? :D

What about the leap-second"?

WWVB includes a few bits to address leap seconds. The code allows both positive and negative leap seconds, but I believe they have all additions up to this time. They follow no regular pattern like the leap years follow.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back