Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital temp display

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi,
My boat has an older motor on it with no availability to check the temp, i ended up buying 2 of these
**broken link removed**

i purchased some steel putty and mounted the probes on the engine each side (V6) and extended the cables so they got to the front, The idea worked perfect.
My only issue now is i cant see when it gets dark lol.

Is there a way i can use these probes on a led seg display, ideally a dual display so i dont have 2 separate units so i can always see the temp?

if anyone knows a schematic or can help i would appreciate it. thanks

Without a schematic, it would likely be quite difficult to convert the LCD to an LED display.
Perhaps you could illuminate the display with an external LED bulb?

Sometimes you can peel off the backing strip on a lcd and fit a backlight, I have done it on a couple of walkman style cd players for a dj, however dont bother doing that, you can get aircraft style instrument illuminators, they are a kind of bolt with a side looking led, you can get them from boy racer type stores too, fit a couple of those and you'll be able to read your temp.
Another thing you could do is hack a couple of these gooseneck usb led lights.

I wouldnt trust metal epoxy, esp if your engine is seawater cooled.

Hi,
A schematic of your thermometer is a very simple - one onboard chip and a small LCD . Sensor is NTC or PTC type I think. Your thermometer case is not waterproof as it with it sensor case, be carefully ! In dark time is a better way to use an external piece of some led's strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back