Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital speedometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorcarlos

hi, im new to this site. I was wondering is this IC is good for a proyect im thinking to make . This ic number is ICL7107 , here's is the site with the info on this chip: https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/s...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=43756

this chip includes :seven segment decoders, display drivers, a reference and a clock. I got interested in this chip cause the proyect i want to start in my car , the dash have limited space, and from what i read this chip have everything integrated to it. i just started thinking about this proyect, so i dont know the values of the analog speedometer of my car (97 eclipse). any info would be apreciated , thanks.

victorcarlos said:
hi, im new to this site. I was wondering is this IC is good for a proyect im thinking to make . This ic number is ICL7107 , here's is the site with the info on this chip: https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/s...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=43756

this chip includes :seven segment decoders, display drivers, a reference and a clock. I got interested in this chip cause the proyect i want to start in my car , the dash have limited space, and from what i read this chip have everything integrated to it. i just started thinking about this proyect, so i dont know the values of the analog speedometer of my car (97 eclipse). any info would be apreciated , thanks.
The digital speedometers are using counters/reset circuits or microcontrolers. I realy don't see how u can use a A/D converter for this:confused:

Tarsil said:
I realy don't see how u can use a A/D converter for this...
Using the A/D chip seems possible to me. Send the pulses from a wheel speed sensor into a voltage-to-frequency converter (LM2719?) to get the analog voltage representing speed. The analog output gets displayed by the A/D display chip. Might not be easy, but possible.
JB

i got a signal from the tachometer and speedometer . Its a linear dc voltage as speed/rpm increases so does the voltage.maybe i can use that directly with an analog /digital converter and adjust it till i get rpm/mph...?

Cars stopped using digital speedometers in the 70's because the numbers are just a blur. Maybe you can gate the input so it jerks in a visible manner.

I'm puzzled - my '95 FTO (can't get Eclipse easily here in UK but FTO is basically the same chassis) had pulse feed for both speedo and rpm. I fitted a HUD behind the dash (electronics in that big empty space below the stereo, could get a PC in there)!

I'm suprised that a '97 eclipse would use an analogue feed - given the problems it could introduce....

If it is all analogue - just use a pic chip and a 34 segment LED driver chip - with the 5 volt reg you have a three chip solution AKA what I did with much simpler software!

Last edited:
Madhouse-
Can you elaborate on what you did with the 34 segment driver chip? I would also like to use a pic chip to drive a 3 digit speedometer with 30-40 LED bargraph. I have the specs to do it with CMOS chips, but I wanted to make this project using some sort of PIC chip. Also, do you know of any examples of code I can look at for this kind of display? I would like to make a matching tachometer. Basically take a signal from a digital speed sensor, and make a fancy display for a custom dashboard.

Joe

kn1ghtride said:
Madhouse-
Can you elaborate on what you did with the 34 segment driver chip? I would also like to use a pic chip to drive a 3 digit speedometer with 30-40 LED bargraph. I have the specs to do it with CMOS chips, but I wanted to make this project using some sort of PIC chip. Also, do you know of any examples of code I can look at for this kind of display? I would like to make a matching tachometer. Basically take a signal from a digital speed sensor, and make a fancy display for a custom dashboard.

Joe

4 shift registers or one LED driver would do it... the LED driver has the costs more but has internal current sources for the LEDs. Just clock out the pattern you want on the LEDs.

D.

audioguru said:
Cars stopped using digital speedometers in the 70's because the numbers are just a blur. Maybe you can gate the input so it jerks in a visible manner.

You have said this before. My '93 Town car has a digital Speedometer that is always steady and a perfect display. I like digital anything and may be the reason I bought this car. :confused:

speedometer

cadstarsucks said:
4 shift registers or one LED driver would do it... the LED driver has the costs more but has internal current sources for the LEDs. Just clock out the pattern you want on the LEDs.

D.

Can you reccomend an LED driver??? Microchip's list seems endless... ;)
I might also like to make a couple separate rows of arrays that scale up and down. 12 segments in the array... It can't be that difficult!!! :confused:

Thanks for the input- Hopefully I won't be a newbie for long...

Joe;)

audioguru said:

i get round this by only updating the display once every 200ms, and using a running average of the last 5 samples , lovely and steady

and i use the max7219 led driver btw

if i use a pic for this project i would need a voltage to freq converter so the pic accept this input? or could i use a analog to digital converter first and make the pic read the binary numbers? right now i have the microcontroller pic16f628A.

victorcarlos said:
if i use a pic for this project i would need a voltage to freq converter so the pic accept this input? or could i use a analog to digital converter first and make the pic read the binary numbers? right now i have the microcontroller pic16f628A.

:eek: That will be a @@!!!!***
There are PIC microcontrollers with on chip A/D converters. Try out the PIC16f88 for (if you want pin for pin replacement) or PIC16f690 (my fave).

about speedometer

hi guys do you have a scemetic diagram of a pic based digital speedometer as well its program in microC? co'z im having difficulties on creating a pic based digital speedometer using a pic16f84a or pic16f877a...:confused:

Tachometer with LM339

Hi.. i need to do a circuit about a tachometer with LM339 but it's the first time i use this IC.. could someone help me with something that's similar of what i want to do.. ive used opams but in a seperated way and im not familiar with this IC.. so could someone tell me something similar or a page that i could see that haves something to do with what im trying to do.. it would be so helpful =)

thanks

Search this forum for 339 and tachometer. That chip is almost digital. Let us know if you don't find enough info.

WOW hi, just come across this, did you get it sorted????? I want to do the same exact thing, willing to share what you did? Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back