Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Speedometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahesh_jo

Does any one has any idea about making a digital speedometer?
I want to develop this for my motherbike. Can we use the existing machinism (chain driven from front wheel) to convert the rotating chain count into ditigal display kmph.

-Mahesh Joshi

I had one on my bike that used a magnet attached to the wheel and a sensor that was mounted off the wheel at the same height.

i used to have an old meter like that for my bike. it was a sensor setup by the wheel with a unit attacked to the wheel im guessing a magnet. to try something similar, try some sort of magnetic sensor possibly like that which people use for home security and run it through a frequency counter or a frequency to voltage convertor and run to a voltmeter. of course you'd have to do the calibrations yourself. i say scratch this idea and just go buy one they arent that expensive.

absolution said:
i say scratch this idea and just go buy one
Sometimes, people get more satisfaction in doing things themselves, instead of just throwing money at a problem...

Here's the link to a thread which was discussing magnetic pickups:https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/how-to-measure-current-in-pic-pic-as-an-ammeter.10097/
In that thread, I showed a photo of a pickup that I made using the coil from an old relay which can be used to sense the teeth on a rotating gear or a chain running past it. This will give a signal directly proportional the speed. Condition the signal from the pickup to get a squared waveform, then send the signal into your counting and display circuitry.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back