Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital scale is not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

Wife put a package of strawberry's on the digital scale and it leaked juice down inside. Scales no longer worked. I took the case apart and the only thing inside is an aluminum strain gauge, circuit board and 3 rubber push buttons. It looks like the juice ran down into the on/off switch. I ran clean tap water through the switch then let it dry for 3 weeks. The scales will not work. How are these rubber push buttons made they appear to work like a keyboard? Am I wasting my time or will this switch work again?

The plastic case is glued together really good I will have to cut it apart with a hacksaw. I am sure I can unsolder the wires on the switch then attach them to a different try push button switch. A jumper wire across the switch should turn the scale on if I could only get to the contacts. Am I wasting my time or what?

If you can identify where the buttons connect to perhaps you could connect a switch there.

The rubber that makes contact with the PCB is a conductive elastomer. If it's not destroyed, then it will measure a small resistance. There is a kit available that will restore the elastomer contacts.

In general, you will find a gold plated interdigitated grid under the button that makes contact with the Elastomer. What's I'm describing is a typical remote control keypad.

A tact switch is something else entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back