Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital resistance pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvd

hello friends
i want to make 10k digital pot. if any one have circuits and link. Please post here or give me some link.
thanks in advance.

Why not buy one? see Analog Devices, amongst others.

Last edited:
Sorry but that's a silly idea.

You could connect a chain resistors in series and use CMOS switches to switch them in and out of the circuit but it's expensive and not practical; much easier to buy the real thing.

Last edited:
Here's a schematic for educational purposes only.

For an 8-bit pot. 8 resistors, each with a CMOS analogue switch in parallel, are wired in series.

The switches need to have a low on resistance <10R, a CD4066 is not good enough, you need something like a MAX312.

This will give a resistance range of <80R to 102k in 400R steps.

If you wanted to build this yourself, you'd need two quad analogue switch ICs and 16 resistors because they're non-standard values, each will comprise of two in series to get the correct value i.e. for 12.8k you'll need 11k and 1k8 in series, for 25k6 you'll need 20k and 5k6 in series etc.

As I said above it's a silly idea because it's much cheaper and easier to buy a single IC that does the job for half the price.

Attachments

• Digital pot sche&#109.PNG
    Digital pot sche&#109.PNG
    545 bytes · Views: 185
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back