Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Potentiometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q__Hybrid

Hey, total newb here.

Is there such a thing as a potentiometer that you can set by inputting a binary value? The only potentiometers I can find have to be manually tuned.

It would be nice to control lighting and audio by way of a completely digital pot. These must be under some other name. Anybody?

+Q__

Yes there is. Modern TVs, CD Players, etc use digital potentiometers.

I don't know the IC number, so I suggest you do a search in a IC data sheet web site such as www.alldatasheet.com and search for "attenuator" or "digital attenuator" or "digital potentiometer"

However, someone in this forum may know.

If you find one, please let us know.

Len

www.maxim-ic.com have lots of digital potentiometer IC's. Mono or stereo, linear or audio-taper. Some are non-volatile but I think the memory-burning part lasts only a few thousand saves. Some have a very low-power "sleep" mode where the last setting is held with battery-backup. :lol:
**broken link removed**

I have good experiences with Microchips MCP41010 - single channel, 10K resistance, 255stages, controlled by SPI..
OR MCP42010 is dual channel

Also Maxims IC's are good too, they offer also I2C versions

The AD5520 is a very simple and easy to use digital pot. It is made by Analog Devices.

It does not employ a high level control propocal, just an up/down pin and a clock pin. I think this will be the best for a newbee.

The MAX5471 also uses this simple interface. I would not sugest for abeginner to use a digital pot that uses SPI or I2C.

If your looking for a digital pot for 1 wire then the Dallas 2890 is a good choice. I got a couple of samples from and when time allows I'll put them to good use.

Note: 1 application Dallas provides for the above chip is digitally controlled fluro lighting

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan :D

Try the Dallas DS1669-10 pot (10 KOhms).You can change its value
by two buttons(Up-Down).It has also memory to keep last value
before the power off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back