Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital output drive current help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jllabs

I have a controller that has an unusual digital I/O. When using its digital output - the drive current is only 220 uA @ 2.7 Vdc (yes micro amps), the output high state is 3.3Vdc no load and low state is <0.9 Vdc for each channel. I cannot find a SSR that will work with such a low drive current. Ultimately I want to control several 12 Vdc solenoids that need approximately 60mA each.

I do have a circuit diagram attached (power switching without relay) that I used on another system where the drive current was 1.5 mA @ 4.5Vdc, the output high was 5 Vdc and low was 0 Vdc. Can the initial resister value be lowered (substantially) to make it work for the lower drive current? Is there a SSR available that will work with such low drive current and output high?

I am not an electronics guy but can put most anything together with proper guidance. Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 183
Additional info

I was able to try one of the two circuits and got it to work as shown in the attached sketch. The second circuit I was not able to test as I do not have the second transducer. I did build the circuit in LTspice and it works. However, the control is triggering at about 0.6 V and the control low is rated as <0.9 V. It could, in theory, not open or close unpredictably. The measured low is 0.0 V but this is without anything else connected to the controller.

Anyone's input would be appreciated...

Attachments

• diagram2.jpg
    diagram2.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 232
I was able to try one of the two circuits and got it to work as shown in the attached sketch. The second circuit I was not able to test as I do not have the second transducer. I did build the circuit in LTspice and it works. However, the control is triggering at about 0.6 V and the control low is rated as <0.9 V. It could, in theory, not open or close unpredictably. The measured low is 0.0 V but this is without anything else connected to the controller.

Anyone's input would be appreciated...

hi,
For driving the relay, look at this pdf for the Si1012R/X, very low Vgate/source.

Attachments

• SI1012.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 179
hi,
For higher currents, look at this dual FDS6898AZ, using low Vgs.

Attachments

• FDS6898AZ[1].pdf
    77.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Can you provide a sketch or describe where the MOSFET would be used.

hi,
The Si1012 N MOSFET would replace the 2N2222 in your diagrams, change the value of the resistor to say 47R.

Post a drawing showing N MOSFET and we can check it for you.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back