Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no book of Internet morality, and this really isn't a 'problem' I'm a little surprised at how vehement Nigel has gotten the only two times I've brought this up as both times I was attacked as if I were small child being scolded by a parent.

I was not raised in a strict household but I was raised with a strong sense of good manners always being the rule, and though by no means am always a polite person I was simply stating that I perceive a moderator using his ability to look up one of it's users private information (private being not available to other users of the forums) and publicly using that information is what might be considered in the real world a social slight. What would seem an appropriate thing to do would be to PM the user and ask them to respond in the thread themselves what their location is or have them fill in the proper field in their profile.

A much exaggerated example but still directly pertinent would be Superman going around telling people what color a complete strangers underwear was and then smacking someone that was just trying to say that maybe it's not a good idea to be doing that. A position with enhanced authority, even a simple one such as a forum moderator puts the person with that authority in higher regard and they need to treat the position as such and act accordingly to a higher standard even if one doesn't personally believe it necessary.

I am well aware of how much logging and how little privacy there is on the Internet, which makes respecting those little things all the more important no matter how silly it might seem.

Just to make sure this doesn't drag out, that's the last I'll say on the subject as no amount of conversation is going to change my opinion nor will my opinion change anyone else's idea of right or wrong. If anyone has anything else they wish to say about this post feel free to send me a private message.

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
There's no book of Internet morality, and this really isn't a 'problem' I'm a little surprised at how vehement Nigel has gotten the only two times I've brought this up as both times I was attacked as if I were small child being scolded by a parent.

I tend to respond in the manner I was approached!.

A much exaggerated example but still directly pertinent would be Superman going around telling people what color a complete strangers underwear.

As I'm sure Superman would if he had good sound reasons for doing so, as I have on the very few occasions this has occurred (not the underwear!).

PC based oscope

Nigel, that's a good question, though, for our design class, we are expected to go through the design process and come up with a design for the assigned project. So, we are open to any solutions. Thanks for your concern.

Sean Browne

gramo said:
Ah ha
lol, was that directed at my 'lack' of location info?
I'll fill it in one day ;)

At a quick guess you are in Australia somewhere.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back