Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Multimeters, How good is yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemelec

Have you ever tried to test a 9 Volt DC Battery on the AC Scale?
Many DMM's will read 18 Volts.
Some read ZERO, as it Should do.

So when trying to measure an AC Signal on a DC Line, It may be Useless.

Maybe its time to get a Better DMM.

Your Comments?

All the Fluke, DMM's that I have also Read Just DC on the AC Scale.

I went through 5 cheap-o meters before I broke down and bought a fluke. I tried the craftsman ones from sears, several radioshack models, and other cheap crap. one of the radioshack ones actually blew it's own fuse (I know what you're thinking, but no, I'm not that retarded) on several occasions and would not read capacitance at all. I bought a second hand fluke 189 from ebay. I payed 150$ for it, with a broken beeper and damaged cover. Despite the imperfections, it's the best meter I've ever owned. I would have saved a lot of money if I just bought a fluke in the first place. That's what i always tell people; one day, you will end up with a fluke, so just buy it now and skip all the heartache you're about to bring on yourself by taking the inexpensive way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back