Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

avinaik

When digital multimeter will be ON ,but kept an ideal. Then what precaution must taken of milliamper range?

hi,

When selecting the DVM to measure current, avoid connecting it across a voltage supply.
[this also applies if the DVM is set to read Resistance]

Always connect the DVM in series within circuit, where you require to measure the current.
[dont attempt mains current measurements, unless you are qualified/experienced to do so]

If you are unsure what current is flowing in the circuit,
Always set your DVM current select switch, to the highest current range and switch down to a lower current range,
until you get a reading.

For higher current measurement some meters have dedicated sockets for the measuring leads.

Many meters have AUTO ranging, which means once you have selected Voltage or Amps the meter will select the correct range.

As a last resort, most meters have a built in fuse, which will blow if the current being measured exceeds the maximum
the meter can handle.

Is this what you mean ?.

Eric

Last edited:
hello, Eric, I have listened that if DVM kept ideal ON , by selecting milliamper range then that range will burn.
Thanks.

avinaik said:
hello, Eric, I have listened that if DVM kept ideal ON , by selecting milliamper range then that range will burn.
Thanks.

This does not make sense in English.

Avinaik - "I have listened that if DVM kept ideal ON"
English - " I have heard that if a DVM ????????????"

Try asking your question in a different way, it really does not make sense.

JimB

To JimB,
I want to say that,if digital multimeter keep away without taking any reading of milliamper range so many hours .Can that range burn?
Thanks.

As long as you're within the current rating of the meter there's no precautions that need to be taken. The only time precautions usually need to be taken with a meter is when you're measuring 10+ amps as the shunt resistor will heat up. Read your manually carefully.

avinaik said:
To JimB,
I want to say that,if digital multimeter keep away without taking any reading of milliamper range so many hours .Can that range burn?
Thanks.
How can it burn you are keeping your multimeter probes freely. You are not taking any overange values so how can it burn.
Keep as long as you like.

But your battery will be dead soon. But new digital meters there is an option called auto power off mode - when is it in ON condition without taking any values it’s automatically switched off…….

hi avinaik,

When you are not using your DVM, switch it OFF. [ this will give the DVM battery a longer life]

Then it will not matter what the 'select' switches are set to.

As Gayan says, most modern DVM's have AUTO switch OFF, [if the meter/DVM is not being used to measure].
Check the DVM operating manual.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back