Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital IR sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Define digital IR sensors.. Those are very open ended words.

Quite often what's used is an actual dedicate IR receiver, they often contain block diagrams which might help you work out a schematic for one of your own. They're very simply, generally an amplifier with a few filter stages.

Quite often what's used is an actual dedicate IR receiver, they often contain block diagrams which might help you work out a schematic for one of your own. They're very simply, generally an amplifier with a few filter stages.
we can get digital signals from it ?
can u name one ?
using opamp, is it reliable ?

Attachments

• TSOP1738.png
    TSOP1738.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
You can get a much better, adjustable range if you use a (more expensive) Sharp IR sensor connected to the comparator input of your microcontroller, with the internal, adjustable Vref.

Sharp IR sensors use triangulation instead of intensity to measure the distance which makes them a lot less affected by the surface and colour of the object measured as well as sunlight/fluoro lights.

Here's some model numbers to google:
SharpIRSensors.jpg

Last edited:
But the circuit is not working for me,
what can be the mistake made by me ?
when i turn the port much, the LED goes always on, so opamp is good isnt it ?
I checked the IR receiver which gives 0.9M ohm with visible and 100ohm in IR,
Transmitter is working also.

But the circuit is not working for me,
what can be the mistake made by me ?
when i turn the port much, the LED goes always on, so opamp is good isnt it ?
I checked the IR receiver which gives 0.9M ohm with visible and 100ohm in IR,
Transmitter is working also.

hi,
The emitter and detector are the problem in that circuit, in that the emitter output is continuous, ie: DC driven.

The detector will detect ambient light as well as the IR light from the emitter, so if the ambient light changes, the signal input to the LM358 will also change.

This is why most emitters are pulsed rapidly on/off , an AC signal.
As the detector is also AC coupled, it can be designed to only respond to the AC signal and not the ambient light,, this is what the TSOP17xx detector modules are designed to do.

Last edited:
can anyone point me towards a working tsop1738 to work with microcontroller,
is the programming while using tsop1738, is like a switch, or there be complex programming ?

Hi varunme maybe you want something **broken link removed**

can anyone point me towards a working tsop1738 to work with microcontroller,
is the programming while using tsop1738, is like a switch, or there be complex programming ?

You have already got a link to a working version of a TSOP system in Post #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back