Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Dice

Status
Not open for further replies.

marbling

Hi I'm new to this forum, I currently have a project to make a digital dice counting from 1 to 6 that has to use a seven segment display with a 555. Rolling of the dice is by a push button and should continue for 30 seconds before settling down to a number. Arrangement for cheating is also needed whereby the dice will settle down to whatever number that is chosen after 30s.

Wasn't taught about the 555 but i readup about it and tried both monostable and astable modes (in monostable mode my dice doesnt run, but for astable my dice does roll, but as it is in astable, it only triggers when the button is pushed. Can't figure how to push and let it roll by itself for 30s)
Also i can't figure out how to connect the adder/half adder for the circuit. I also understand that a multiplexer is needed due to the requirement for cheating.
Feeling very lost at the moment.

Any help is appreciated!

Managed to complete the circuit. Really grateful for the resources here.

Last edited:
In 1970=something this was a school project. (not the cheating part)
adder/half adder
What can you use? Can you use ICs like a 4 bit counter? or a BCD to 7-segment decoder? There are parts to make this easy.
Are you going to make this or just on paper?

In 1970=something this was a school project. (not the cheating part)

What can you use? Can you use ICs like a 4 bit counter? or a BCD to 7-segment decoder? There are parts to make this easy.
Are you going to make this or just on paper?
I'm actually going to make it, but i figured out the rolling part by configuring an astable 555 to a monostable 555.
The only requirement for this is to use the 555 and not use a ready made dice chips.
Now i'm figuring out how to make use of the adder to push the values up. Also, is it possible to use a nand gate from the BCD counter output to reset the number so that it counts from 1 again? Thank you for your reply, really appreciate it.

I've managed to make it count from 1 to 6, now its to put the cheat together with the rolling via the multiplexor.
How do we make it roll but also make the output come from the cheats? Do I hook the A/B to the monostable 555?

Alright, I actually managed to solve this. Somehow managed to solve this after days of racking my brains out.
Funny how just putting your questions in writing clarifies your thought processing...

Good job, marbling :cool:.

And Welcome to ETO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back