Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital current measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunatics

Hi,

Just to introduce myself, I'm into digital electronics, but I'm not that good at analog electronics.

I'm working with a small project of mine, which will be remote controlled power-outlets. The outlets will be controlled over FM with a nice "digital signal to radio" module, connected to a PIC16f84 processor.

I will use a triac to do the voltage-controlling. The PIC will send the trigger-signals by searching for the 0v in AC, and timing from there.

I am also planning to have a temperature-sensor, so I can monitor the temperatures around in the house. Maybe the outlets will power a heating oven? Who knows.

Now over to the question: I would like to be able to measure how much current that flows through the controlled outlet..

Measuring voltages is done by using a multiplexer and different resistor-values, as far as I know. But I'm not sure about current.

I suspect that you are supposed to put a 1 Ohm resistor in serial with one wire, and then measure the voltage over the resistor, but this is just a vague theory, and I have NO idea of how I would know how to calculate this, or know what resistors I need in the multiplexer..

Am I on deep water here? It might be a bit harder to measure AC-current?

Or is there a premade chip/module that do the measuring for me, and delivers current-data digitally?

Any help is appreciated! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back