Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital clock using ATmega32

Status
Not open for further replies.

xen_nsu

hello everyone,
I am a very young person in the world of electronics, I need all of your help to grow faster.The reason i am posting this is currently I am working on a project and I want to build a digital Bangla clock using ATmega32 microcontroller. Now other than using a microcontroller i could do the project by building a circuit or fully hardwired system but problem I am having is the circuits I am getting online are all for 7 segment display and for my clock I have 10 segment bangla numerical display, I dont know how do I correct this problem.

Can anyone help me ? which way i should go?

You would just add more cathode drivers for the additional common segments (for small clocks they are driven directly from the microcontroller). As with seven segment displays, you look up the map of segments you want illuminated according to the language you are portraying. Of course the 7 segment displays are normally driven from one byte of I/O, and the Bangla display will require a second byte. In firmware you will have to consider the larger field in your look up table.

Thank you, I think you didnt get my point, here it is again, I want to make a digital watch but it will display Bangla Numericals instead of English Numericals. Obviouly I cant use 7 segment display, so I designed 10 segment (LED based, hand made) display for my watch. Now where I am stuck is how to convert a existing circuit for watch which is designed for 7 segment display? How do I correct it?

mneary answered the question for using a microcontroller for the clock as you stated in your first two sentences.

For your other option, you need to generate a 10 state logic truth table to go from the 7-segment display output to the 10-segment display for numerals 0 through 9. For each number, the logic circuit will convert the 7-segment (7-bit) numerial output from the watch to the 10-segment display pattern you want. The logic can be implemented with discrete gates or a logic-array.

Minimizing the logic probably requires a computer program since Karnaugh maps can become unwieldy for more than four variables. These are discussed here.

Other options are to use a PROM lookup table to convert from one to the other (the 7-bits are the memory address which contains the desired 10-bit output), or a small microprocessor to do the conversion.

which way i should go?
Maybe we need to know more about where you are.

Do you want to modify a 7-segment design which currently uses ATmega32, to use 10 segments?
Or do you want avoid modifying the 7-segment circuit and want to insert a gate-based decoder?
Do you perhaps want to leave the 7-segment watch unchanged and use ATmega32 to translate the characters?

Thank you, yeah now I have the idea , may be using a PROM would be a better option, I will study about PROM since I didnt use PROM before; discrete gates wouldnt be a good solution to me since I want my watch such a way so that with a input user could change the display from English to Bangla :)

Maybe we need to know more about where you are.

Do you want to modify a 7-segment design which currently uses ATmega32, to use 10 segments?
Or do you want avoid modifying the 7-segment circuit and want to insert a gate-based decoder?
Do you perhaps want to leave the 7-segment watch unchanged and use ATmega32 to translate the characters?

Thank you for your reply, I was thinking of doing it by modifying the 7-segment and at the same time I want it to make using microcontroller, if I ATmega32 its just matter of programming , I found it really difficult to generate exact 1 Second. :)

To exactly generate 1 second, you may have to use a crystal for the microprocessor clock that is an exact binary multiple of 1 second. For example a 32,768Hz watch crystal will generate a 1s pulse with a 2^15 division.

If it's actually 'really difficult' for you to generate exact 1-second intervals, then I recommend the application notes AVR130 and AVR134.

Nw guy for a electronics

Hey guys I am a networking student I have no idea about Electronics but I have to work on a Displaying a digital watch using atmega32 micro contoller, I have to display time : Date: Month: Year and also I should be able to change the time , date month and year using a switch on the board.

The thing with me is dat i have no dea how to do it at all

Can any body help me on doing th board and the software programming that would be great

Pls respond to my request at your earliest

Thanks
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back