Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital circuit design idea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.man

hi,
i want to design a circuit using some of the available IC's i.e TTL IC's. it could be a counter, adder,FSM or ADC/DAC. something to test and verify on a breadboard.

any ideas?

A digital clock can get complex using only simple TTL gates, using a clock chip of some sort would make it easier but not much fun. I think a counter is a good choice.

You may want to look at Krumlinks digital clock. It was quite the system.

Last edited:
Get an oscillator (555), connect it to a binary counter, and drive a BCD to 7 segment display. This will keep you busy and impress your neighbers.

pls, i tried using a 555 timer and a 7490 as my frequency divider, yet it would not respond to the pulses. am just confused, is there any other way of making out an oscillator without using a 555 timer.

YES there are several ways to make an oscillator but the 555 is maybe the best and less trouble to build. ALMOST fool proof.
An EASY circuit to breadboard and impress your friends is a back and forth KNIGHT RIDER LEDS circuit.
Lets see 2 or 3 capacitors, 1 - 555 chip, 1 - 4017 chip 8 diodes and 10 leds
search for knight rider circuit, lots of them on the web.

pls, i tried using a 555 timer and a 7490 as my frequency divider, yet it would not respond to the pulses. am just confused, is there any other way of making out an oscillator without using a 555 timer.

First, it would be nice if you posted your circuit. There is no shortage of people here who will help you.

Next, if you build a circuit that should work but doesn't work it is best to find out why and learn from your mistakes. Building more circuits is not a good solution.

Use data sheets! Get to understand what is happening (or what should be happening) in the circuits. Understand how clock or counter circuits actually work.

Keep your circuits simple in the beginning. Like what has been mentioned. Maybe start with a simple 555 astable multi-vibrator circuit and a few LEDs. Then once you see it work you can add to the 555 output with a counter. Make building blocks. That would be my suggestions anyway.

Ron

Last edited:
A very basic 555 circuit is where you have two LEDs that flash back and forth.
1 - 555
2 capacitors
4 resistors
2 leds
a battery
do a search

hi,
i am ratan
you can use 7476 j-k flip flop circuit for making counter or shift register;you can also use 7400 nand gate ic,7432 or gate ic;for design full adder circuit;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back