Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Audio Delay Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrybud

Hey, first time poster here.

Looking for ideas on how to create a digital audio delay upwards of 10 seconds (adjustable by the user via a pot, preferrably). I was going to buy a commercial product but they are backordered for an unknown time (delayplay.com)

The idea is to take a radio broadcast (I could go mono but stereo would be preferred), and delay the broadscast X number of seconds so the radio broadcast of a sporting event will sync with the video broadcast on TV (radio is almost always ahead of the video)

Any ideas to get me pointed in the right direction? I figure I need an a->d convertor, some sort of buffer, then back from d->a.

I've haven't done any pic programming in probably 10 years and I'm very unfamiliar with any of the new breed of IC out there. Thanks!

Last edited:
That's a fairly complex project for a beginner. As you noted you need an A/D converter, a variable digital delay memory (which is the difficult part), and a D/A converter.

Have you looked at this **broken link removed**. It only has a maximum delay of 8 seconds, but perhaps that's enough.

They make chips to do this for TV lip synch issues, but they're nowhere near long enough for a 10s delay.

Have you picked a sampling frequency?

there is always the old way with a loop of magnetic tape with a erase head, record head and a playback head, all active at the same time, you could vary the delay time by increasing or decreasing the speed of the tape path, not really a electronic solution but a simple solution that can be used with mono or stereo, with equal simplicity, Karl.

Here's **broken link removed** a relatively simple circuit to generate an audio delay. For 10 seconds of delay with a 100kHz clock you would need a 1Mbit shift register. You would vary the delay by varying the clock frequency (or tapping off different points on the shift-register).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back