Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital ammeter project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use a digital panel meter with a switch to connect the various shunts for each range

ljcox, tnx for a quick response. But what i need is an auto range one, it will be used to monitor the charging current in a battery charger ckt.

scottraynor said:
ljcox, tnx for a quick response. But what i need is an auto range one, it will be used to monitor the charging current in a battery charger ckt.

I don't see any need, a digital panel meter will read from 0-1999. If it's scaled to read 19.99A that's giving you 10mA resolution in 20A - which is far greater than you could possibly need for a battery charger.

If you don't need that large a charging current, scaling to 1.999A would give 1mA resolution in 2A.

scottraynor said:
Thanks, Nigel... By the way, Do you have a simple/cheap ckt of a digital meter that I can build? :)

Try googling for icl7107 or icl7106, these are two common chips for digital meters. However, it's probably cheaper to buy a ready built display than to buy a chip and an LCD.

ry googling for icl7107 or icl7106, these are two common chips for digital meters. However, it's probably cheaper to buy a ready built display than to buy a chip and an LCD.

In my brief research of ICL7107 IC's, most sales places want aroun $12 for the IC itself, then you add on the external components which ranges anywhere from $2-$10, then add on the actual display which ranges anywhere from $2-$20 depending on the number of digits you need. So the approximate cost is about $28, give or take a few dollars.

A common replacement for the ICL7107 and ICL7106 are the NJU9202 and the NJU9201 respectively. Digikey sells these IC's for around $6, which provides some cost reduction.

Still, most panel meters are around $12-$15. So this option is definately worth taking a look at.

Here's a link to a recent topic about ammeters which should give you some good hints, if you should decide on going the ICL710X route.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/ic-holder-cradle.8111/

Last edited by a moderator:
i think this is what ur looking for mate i used this in my degree switch mode power suppy project it measures up to 5 amps in 10mA steps

R1=39k, R2=47ohm, R3=13k, R4=220ohm, R5=1.5k, R6=1M, R7=100k, R8=3.3k, R9=15ohm, R10=56ohm, R11=100ohm, RS=0.1ohm 3watt. R1= 1k trimmer, D1=1n4148, D2=1n914, C1,4,9=47nf, C2=220nf, C5=10nf, C6=100nf, C7=100pf, C8=680pf, C3=100uf 16V electr, C10=10uf 16V electro, Q1=2sc945, U1=ICL7107, U2=LM7805 5V regulator
This runs 4 '7 seg displays'

Attachments

• ammeter1.jpg
    ammeter1.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 2,437
meter

.. :lol: :lol:
a couple of days more and it will be exactly 2 years :!: :lol:

Thanks anyway, may be useful to someone else1

Design Digital Ammetre

Design Calculation of a digital ammetre, Type of digital ammetres, Literature Review and theoritical background

can any1 help me on this topic???
3switches will have an output of 1, 2 ,and 3 in seven segment..
1rst switch has an output of one..
2nd is two..
3rd is three..
then it will give an output on dual seven segment incrementing
from 0-99 plzzz..
nid schematic diagram..
thnx..

ronnel,

You should start a new thread rather than hijacking this one...

Etiquette....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back