Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital 6-Channel Colour Organ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semaphöre

Hi guys,

This is my first post here, though I've been visiting this forum for a while. Guess I just never had anything interesting to say.

Anywho, I recently got an STM32F4 Nucleo board (It's a bit like an Arduino with more bits and Hertz...and an FPU!) and have been having some fun with the DSP library. I've managed to concoct a 6-channel colour organ by sampling a single audio channel at 20kHz and feeding it into a 512-point FFT. Each output LED represents a predefined bin of a particular frequency range, and the final value is determined by taking the maximum within that bin...pretty standard stuff.

It actually produces a very nice effect, but I'm new to audio visualization so I was hoping to open up a discussion to see if anyone had any tricks/ideas to make the effect as interesting as possible. All the colour organ designs I've seen are <= 4 channels, so I can't find much about it.

These are the frequency bins I'm using so far:

Bin 1: 1Hz -70Hz
Bin 2: 190Hz -400Hz
Bin 3: 650Hz-900Hz
Bin 4: 1000Hz 1500Hz
Bin 5: 1800Hz 2500Hz
Bin 6: 3500Hz-6000Hz

If anyone is interested I could throw up the source code I have so far. Please let me know what you think!

Fun board,
What price?
Do you have the LCD?
Are you working in C?

What I have done has a simple "LED" display. I want some history but don't have the CPU power to get it. The picture is not exactly what I want but.....The back line is the audio level this pass. The Thin line to the left is the history over several seconds that disappear going left. When I am recording, by the time I hear something the meters now do not display what happened. I would like to look back one word or one note and see what that was.

A 3D looking thing that has both the LED look for "now" and a o-scope trace for "history".

upload_2014-6-15_17-13-34.png

The price is surprisingly low: Only $12 from Mouser. And yeah, I'm writing in C.

The LCD display seems like a nifty idea, the STM32F4 has a DMA module so you could probably shuttle data to a small LCD over SPI without even getting the processor involved. I just wonder if one of those "microcontroller-friendly" tiny LCDs would be big enough...maybe I should nab one!

Last edited:
WOW that is a great price. I would expect $120 or more.
When I looked up the board yesterday there was a matching LCD.
I would love to play with this but my C-ability is low.
I have looked at boards with graphic programming. (I can move pictures around) lol

I want to make an audio limiter/compressor. I have made very complex limiters using analog parts. To go beyond I need digital.

When I learned programming we started with x86 assembly...C seemed easy after that :p

Embedded C can still be tricky when the optimizer eats your code.

ST provides a nifty program where you select the peripherals you want to use and it writes the necessary boilerplate code for you...saves a lot of time from hunting down the exact sequence of functions needed to get things working.

Thanks,
My goal this year is to get a beagle bone black and start on a new home automation computer.
That is a ARM computer.

I was raised in eastern Alberta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back