Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diffusing LED light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrow

Hi

I need to make a 20mm (or so) light "patch".
I need to make 2 patches- one red and one white.

I have combined 4 10mm LED's into a square, and was wondering how I can make these "dots" light up a circular area?
I would prefer not to see the dots.

Are there any lenses that I can use? Do these lenses come with a housing?

Any help/ part numbers would be greately appreciated.

Regards
a.

Hi SomeOne

I was thinking more along the lines of a lense/ diffusor- is there something like that?

Regards
a.

It depends how much space you have in back. An LED up against the back of a 1" piece of milky glass is still going to be a dot no matter what you do. But if you have 1" behind it then it can spread out better.

Some devices use frosted glass with the LED (or CCFL tube) emitting light on the edge of the glass.

there are LEDs with lense shape that does just what you want:

Attachments

• led_262.gif
    led_262.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 347
Have you considered something like this? I haven't tried it, but it seems like it might work. You would actually want to paint all surfaces except the "entrance" and the frosted area with an opaque paint. The frosted area needs to be done with steel wool, sandpaper, or a solvent.

Attachments

• diffuser.png
    diffuser.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 354
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back