Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

differential opamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asjad

Dear All,

I hope all is well.

I have a quick question:

I wish to interface an PH meter to some electronics using this probe:

Do I need to use a opamp in differntial mode??

Just insert one of the wires to ground and the other to a
PICS ADC??

Thank you in advance!!

I wouldn't recommend connecting the probe directly to a microprocessor.

You need to use opamps with VERY high input resistances, eg TL071, TL081 (typically 10^12 ohms input resistance). Your run-of-the-mill 741 just won't make the grade.

You'll need at least 3 opamps - Buffer each side of the probe with a voltage follower, then put the third one in differential mode, using the output of the followers. While you're about it, give your differential amp a gain of about 10, maybe more, maybe less, depending on the input requirements of your ADC. THEN take the output to your microprocessor.

Instrumentation amplifier for pH measurement?

Hi, my 2 penneth worth ...

I know that a full instrumentation amp set-up as described by Phasor is the ideal but I would have thought that for 'playing' with the concept of pH a 'simple', single op-amp would suffice (still with FET input stages; Phasor's TL071 or similar).
If the op-amp input impedance is a bit low then it will load the voltage down a bit so you will get less than the ideal 59mV per pH but you cannot rely on getting this signal anyway - you will need to calibrate the system, both for 'slope' (mV/pH - effectively a gain control) and for 'isopotential' (!) (the pH value that produces 0mV - approximately 7pH - this is effectively a zero shift).

I think the biggest hurdle here is likely to be obtaining the pH probe pair.
IF you want to go buy a probe then consider a "combination probe", both measuring and reference junctions in a single body - usually cheaper than seperate probes and probably more than adequate for your experiments.
A single screened cable will provide both connections from a combination probe, centre core is measuring junction, screen is ref. junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back