Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

differential frequency measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgergo

Hi to all,

and greetings to everybody! I would like to know more about differential frequency measurement and I'd be grateful if someone would point me in the right direction (theory, links, circuits, books etc.) Unfortunately I can find pay-per-view articles only on this topic.

Thanks

What do you want to do?

Measure the difference between two frequencies? There are many different ways to do that, it depends on what you're doing.

I want to measure the frequency of an oscillator. The oscillator will change it's frequency over time (it is contacted with chemicals). I would like to measure these changes. As far as I know, there is the frequency counting method and I heard about this differential method. If I'm not mistaken it provides faster sample rates because it doesn't need 'long' counting intervals so I can have more frequency data per second.

I think it is based on mixing the signal with one with a reference frequency and measuring the beat frequency. But I reckon it is not that simple.

What's the frequency?

How about using a much higher frequency oscillator and counting the number of pulses per cycle of the frequency you're measuring?

For example, if it' varies between 1Hz and 2Hz and you use a 10MHz oscillator, you can get a reading once or twice per second, depending on the frequency.

Why do you need fast measurements?

Another fast method is to measure the interval of one cycle and calculate the frequency from that.

Would both frequensis have same amplitude? Would both signals be sinusoidal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back