Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Different sizes of component legs to solder

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec_newb

I have been working with "standard" components that plug into breadboards... I can play with them on the breadboard, solder them into PCBs, all kinds of things that make me smile.

I have spotted other types of legs that are thicker and have a hole at the bottom though. They are too fat to stick into a breadboard, and they dont fit through the holes of a PCB like you'd find at Radio Shack.

Is there a difference in name between these two types of legs? I couldn't find a DC power connector with proper sized legs at Mouser, so I had to settle for one of the fat bastards, and took a drill bit to my PCB to make it fit. In the future, I'd like not to have to do this, and I'm figuring if the voltage regulator need not have pins like that, neither does the DC power connector. I'd like to narrow down my search using the correct terminology...

When mounting those, I usually solder solid wires, like cut-off 1/4W or 1/2W resistor leads to the switch first, and then insert those into the breadboard or protoboard.

I agree with Mike. You're meant to solder wires through those holes, not insert the pins (or legs) into a breadboard or PCB. I also use resistor (or capacitor) leads for this--they become plentiful after a couple of projects, they solder nicely, and they fit nicely into breadboards, PCBs, and switch leg holes.

Torben

I couldn't find a DC power connector with proper sized legs at Mouser, so I had to settle for one of the fat bastards, and took a drill bit to my PCB to make it fit. In the future, I'd like not to have to do this...

This bugged me no end too. I created a thread on it some time ago and lots of people were helpful. In the end I ended up cutting bits of jutting out plastic from the bottom of the power jack, as well as one of the three fat legs, and ended up slicing a slit and drilling a hole into the veroboard to make it fit snugly before soldering. Frankly, it was a pain in the jacksie, but - in the end - I was really happy with my result. I had a circuit my 'user' could plug the 2.1mm socket into nice and easy. I still dunno why there aren't plentiful power connectors with simple landing patterns that just dive into those standard sized holes... but there aren't.

EDIT: this thread - https://www.electro-tech-online.com...s-that-slot-into-breadboard-veroboard.101763/

Last edited:
This bugged me no end too. I created a thread on it some time ago and lots of people were helpful. In the end I ended up cutting bits of jutting out plastic from the bottom of the power jack, as well as one of the three fat legs, and ended up slicing a slit and drilling a hole into the veroboard to make it fit snugly before soldering. Frankly, it was a pain in the jacksie, but - in the end - I was really happy with my result. I had a circuit my 'user' could plug the 2.1mm socket into nice and easy. I still dunno why there aren't plentiful power connectors with simple landing patterns that just dive into those standard sized holes... but there aren't.

EDIT: this thread - https://www.electro-tech-online.com...s-that-slot-into-breadboard-veroboard.101763/

Personally, having had to open up a lot of stage audio gear and solder the connectors back together, I never really like to see sockets directly soldered to a circuit board, unless the socket has extra legs/posts/something to attach it more firmly. For applications where the plug won't be removed/inserted a whole lot and won't be subjected to much stress it's pretty much OK, but if the thing is expected to get any sort of regular use, I'd rather see flying leads from the jacks to the PCB--it allows the jack to flex more without putting stress directly on the solders holding it to the PCB, which can break the joint or even lift the solder pads.

Sometimes there just isn't room for the flying leads. But the *last* thing I think when I see sockets, pots, etc (basically anything a human will grab, twist, pull, push, drop something on, or otherwise abuse) soldered directly to a PCB is "that looks reliable". :)

Cheers,

Torben

It is the case with the thing that I was doing that there wasn't room. And 'tis a hobbyist thing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back