Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference in Capacitor Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradm

I have tried to look for information online about this but I always get information on connecting capacitors in series.
What I am looking for is what the different series of capacitors are.
IE. M, NHG, FM, FC, FK and why you would choose one over the other.

Thank you for your help.

My TV is having the typical slow start indicative of power supply issues. I have a limited knowledge of circuitry and components, but I am familiar enough to do the replacement. I am just not sure what series of capacitor to use in the replacement. The OEM are a capXon, and I understand they are not quality. I have attached a photo below. The capacitor on the far right is bulging at the top.

TV Power-min.jpg

When it comes to electrolytic caps (what you have), stick with high temp (105 degree) name brands. "Series" are not an specific issue in your application
Such as Panasonic, Nippon Chemicon, Nichicon ..etc . Try to keep the capacitance value same (not lower). Same with voltage rating. Voltage rating can be higher provided you do not run into space limitation due to capacitor size/length. There are many many choices.

I have found the identical capacitance and voltage for each replacement. Do I at least need to keep all of the replacement caps that I buy the same series or is this totally irrelevant in my situation? I do appreciate your help.

You are correct, the capacitors were/are probably the least expensive that met specifications. They do not look to be bulging in the picture. If you were to remove them and measure their ESR's, you might find some are increased. Nevertheless, if you are set on replacing them, I suggest just using general purpose, high quality ones with a high ripple voltage rating. That is, given two of similar ratings, pick the one of the same size with a higher ripple rating.

There is also a temperature rating, often 85°C vs. 105°C and a lifteime rating, often something like 1000 hours to 2000 hours or more. If you are just getting a few, go for the higher temperature and lifetime ratings. There really are a lot of specifications to chose from, and what you want is something that works. A dollar or two difference in cost won't make much difference for a one off compared to the difference it makes for a million.

John

You have been a great help. I think I have the information I need to get it up and running again. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back