Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference Between PLC & PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riyazahmad said:
I am new to PIC, Can anybody help me to diffentiate between PLC and PIC, Thanks in advance. :oops:

A PIC is a micro-controller, a single chip computer, as such it's very small, very cheap, and very versatile.

A PLC is a complete system, probably using many chips, so it's larger, more expensive, and not as versatile (as you are limited to what the designer included).

There have been quite a few projects about using a PIC to simulate (or replace) a PLC.

One of the most popular use of PLC is in manufacturing.
When i was in university, we practised PLC to control the movement of a robotic arm.

PLC's (programmable logic controller) are used to control machinery, usually in manufacturing and testing of products. They are usually programmed with some kind of "ladder logic" using brand specific development environments. The advantage to PLCs is ease of use. They come with boards that readily drive and interface to all kinds of sensors, (usually 4-20mA stuff). The disadvantages are limitation and cost. PLCs are usually a few hundred dollars for a decent one.

Compare this to a PIC and a handfull of parts for maybe $20. If you have the time this is a much cheaper and less restrictive option. I've been using PICs in production and test equipment for years, I've cut cost, improved flexibility and streamlined development. Another unexpected advantage turned out to be fear! The mechanics that take care of the production machines are afraid to touch my machines, this makes them last much longer!!

Riyazahmad said:
Thanks to all for respond,
Can anybady suggest some small project to learn. :wink:

Have a look at my PIC tutorials, you can combine code from various ones to make a lot of useful projects - all with very little code writing required, just code to link the various parts together as you want. A number of the later tutorial's already do this, in particular many of them use the LCD tutorial code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back